Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Called to Serve

To practice Called to Serve this week, I used an idea from a fellow primary music leader...

I had mission calls for the primary. It was a piece of paper with an "I am a Child of God" seal on it that said "We've been called to: Idaho" or whatever area I chose. We'd find that location on the map and then use something about that area to sing the song. Here's what that was:

For India: We talked about how some people ride Elephants and they take big side to side steps. So we rocked side to side as we sang.

For China (and Korea): We talked about how they use chopsticks to eat and I gave them all a set of chopsticks to bang together as we sang.

For Washington DC: We talked about how the President lives there and I had flags for the kids to wave while we sang.

For Idaho: I had a hot potato to pass around as we sang. The struggle with this was that the kids would forget to sing. I did have to reinforce not throwing.

For Australia: I asked what animals lived in Australia and we jumped like kangaroos while we sang.

I'm sure you could think of other ideas, but this was great because it varied it enough that they didn't mind singing the song over and over and by the end they were singing all of the words correctly!! At the end I challenged them to sing louder than me, (I can sing fairly loud) and they did great!

1 comment:

sheila said...

Hi Sarah,
I found you on the primary chorister list serve. I am excited to see you blog and the cool ideas you post. I am pretty new to this calling Almost a year so not that new. But I am not very over the top I like things simple and practical. So I guess I'll see you on the blog or on the list serve
Sheila B